Ad extensions are additional information that can be added to a paid search ad, such as a phone number, location, or additional links. These extensions can help to increase the visibility and click-through rate of an ad, and can also provide users with more information about a business or product. Ad extensions are available for various types of ads, including text ads and shopping ads, and can be added through the ad platform or through an API.
Why Should You Use Them?
There are two main benefits to ad extensions that are so ubiquitous, nearly every advertiser can benefit from them:
1. They allow you to provide more information: Larger ad text lets you make a stronger case to targets about why they should click on your ad.
2. They increase your visibility on SERPs: The larger size of extended ads makes them more impactful.
Through these two factors alone, ad extensions can increase your clickthrough rate (CTR) significantly – possibly several percentage points. And this isn’t even considering their other benefits, which include:
- Improved lead quality: By providing more information, extended ads allow poor-quality leads to self-disqualify, so you get fewer irrelevant clicks. The people who click through to your landing page are far more likely to take the desired action.
- Better ad ranking: Google uses a variety of factors to determine your ad position, including expected CTR, relevance, and landing page experience. Simply using ad extensions will automatically improve your ranking, because it allows Google to offer a better variety of ad formats.
- Better use of your PPC budget: Because they improve your CTR, ad extensions can help lower your cost-per-click (CPC), which in turn means you’re getting more out of your paid ad spend.